MTMFA Application & Audition Information
Step 1 - Apply to the University by submitting a CSUMentor application
Step 2 - Submit Documents to SDSU Graduate Admissions
- Official Transcripts
- International documents (only if you have international coursework)
- Test Scores – GRE Graduate Record Exam (only if your undergraduate GPA is under 3.0)
- English Language Proficiency (only for international students)
Step 3 - Visit Acceptd.com to submit program-specific application materials
You will be asked to complete a program application and upload the following:
- Writing Sample
- Three letters of recommendation
- A video audition sample (only if you are unable to attend the in-person interview)
Step 4 - Schedule an Audition/Interview
Contact MTMFASDSU@gmail.com to schedule your audition/interview
Audition / Interview Process
We invite our candidates to come to SDSU in order to meet the faculty/staff and current students of the MFA Musical Theatre Program, as well as see the campus and attend classes. The audition/interview requirements are as follows:
Audition (4-6 minutes)
- Acting: 1 contemporary monologue
- Singing: 2 contrasting songs that show vocal range and style
The entire acting/singing audition should not exceed 5 minutes
- Dancing: a group combination will be taught
- An accompanist will be provided (no a cappella singing or taped music is allowed)
The faculty will speak with applicants individually about their academic and performance experience, immediate and long-term goals, and expectations of the program. The candidate will have the opportunity to ask questions of the MFA faculty and current class about the program, university, and community.
The SDSU MFA Musical Theatre Program auditions every two years for a new class. The next application period opens October 1, 2015.
Auditions will be held in San Diego during February/March 2016.
Next MFA class (SDSU MFA Class of 2018) begins Fall 2016.
For further information about the SDSU MFA Musical Theatre Program please contact Robert Meffe, Head of the MFA Musical Theatre Program at email@example.com.